6. Topkapi Palace, Turkey
The construction of Topkapi palace was took place in 1453 by King Sultan Mehmed II in Istanbul. The palace used as a residents for sultans and place for hosting judicial and executive functions. The palace covers vast area of 173 acres, protected by huge walls.
Topkapi palace was continued to modified centuries after centuries. The minarets and domes remains as remarkable sight of this palace.
The Topkapı Palace or the Seraglio is a large palace in Istanbul, Turkey that was one of the major residences of the Ottoman sultans for almost 400 years (1465–1856) of their 624-year reign.
As well as a royal residence, the palace was a setting for state occasions and royal entertainments. It is now a museum and as such a major tourist attraction. It also contains important relics of the Muslim world, including Muhammed’s cloak and sword. The Topkapı Palace is among the monuments contained within the «Historic Areas of Istanbul», which became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1985, and is described under UNESCO’s criterion iv as «the best example of ensembles of palaces of the Ottoman period.»
The palace complex consists of four main courtyards and many smaller buildings. At its peak, the palace was home to as many as 4,000 people, and covered a large area with a long shoreline. It contained mosques, a hospital, bakeries, and a mint. Construction began in 1459, ordered by Sultan Mehmed II, the conqueror of Byzantine Constantinople. It was originally called the New Palace to distinguish it from the previous residence. It received the name «Topkapı» in the 19th century, after a gate and shore pavilion. The complex was expanded over the centuries, with major renovations after the 1509 earthquake and the 1665 fire.